Saturday, May 25, 2013

ISL 5 - Tag Questions

TAG QUESTIONS
The basic structure is:

+
Positive statement,
-
negative tag?
Snow is white,
isn't it?
-
Negative statement,
+
positive tag?
You don't like me,
do you?

Look at these examples with positive statements:

positive statement [+]
negative tag [-]
notes:
subject
auxiliary
main verb

auxiliary
not
personal
pronoun
(same as subject)

You
are
coming,

are
n't
you?

We
have
finished,

have
n't
we?

You
do
like
coffee,
do
n't
you?

You
like
coffee,
do
n't
you?
You (do) like...
They
will
help,

wo
n't
they?
won't = will not
I
can
come,

can
't
I?

We
must
go,

must
n't
we?

He
should
try
harder,
should
n't
he?

You

are
English,
are
n't
you?
no auxiliary for main verb be present & past
John

was
there,
was
n't
he?

Look at these examples with negative statements:

negative statement [-]
positive tag [+]
subject
auxiliary

main verb


auxiliary
personal
pronoun
(same as subject)
It
is
n't
raining,


is
it?
We
have
never
seen

that,
have
we?
You
do
n't
like

coffee,
do
you?
They
will
not
help,


will
they?
They
wo
n't
report

us,
will
they?
I
can
never
do

it right,
can
I?
We
must
n't
tell

her,
must
we?
He
should
n't
drive

so fast,
should
he?
You


are
n't
English,
are
you?
John


was
not
there,
was
he?

Some special cases:

am right, aren't I?
aren't I (not amn't I)
You have to go, don't you?
you (do) have to go...
have been answering, haven't I?
use first auxiliary
Nothing came in the post, did it?
treat statements with nothing, nobody etc like negative statements
Let's go, shall we?
let's = let us
He'd better do it, hadn't he?
he had better (no auxiliary)

No comments:

Post a Comment